Facts, Figures & Milestones
The Pitztaler Gletscherbahn GmbH & Co KG operates two ski areas:
The Pitztal Glacier and the mountain railways Rifflsee.
Total investment volume until 2020: approx. 52 million euros
Number of employees: 80
- 1982 – 1983 Locals came up with the idea of a glacier ski area in the Pitztal in the 70s. After a successful search for investors, the Pitztaler Gletscherbahn was founded in 1980.
- 1982 Construction of the Pitz Express
- 16.01.1982 Commencement ceremony
- 11.03.1983 Opening ceremony
- 23.12.1983 Passenger service with the Pitz Express commenced
- 1983 Start of the Wildspitze mountain restaurant with its own pastry shop
- 1983 Construction of the Brunnenkogel T-bar lift, the Mittelbergjoch T-bar 1 and the Gletschersee 2-seater chairlift followed.
- 1985 Construction of the Mittellbergjoch T-bar lift 2
- 1987/1988 Construction of the Mittagskogel practice lift
- 1989 Construction of the highest cable car in Austria – the Pitz Panorama Cable Car
- 1989 – 1992 Construction of the storage pond for the snow-making system
- 1995 Summer skiing comes to an end in 1995. Since then skiing has been
skiing is offered from September to May on the Pitztal Glacier.
- 1996 Construction of the Kristall mountain restaurant with spacious sun terrace
- 1998 Expansion of the children’s offer with the adventure world for bambinis in the area of the glacier restaurant at 2,840 m.
- 1998 – 2000 Construction of the Chapel of White Light by Prof. Rudi Wach on behalf of the Pitztal Gletscherbahn.
- 2000 Construction of the glacier trail from the Hinterer Brunnenkogel down to the Taschachferner.
Taschachferner. Today you can reach the access/descent to the Gletschersteig comfortably with the Wildspitzbahn from 3,440 m.
- 2000 Tunnel & Pitz Express as well as
Comfort improvement in the Pitz Express
- 2000 1st edition of the Pitz Express
- 2006 Construction of the 6-seater chairlift Gletschersee and the 8-seater gondola lift Mittelberg
- 2009 Construction of the IDE All Weather Snowmaker facility
- 2010 Since the beginning of the glacier ski area, the company has offered a high-altitude cross-country ski trail at 2,690 m.
- 2011/2012 Construction of the Wildspitzbahn, which replaces the Pitz Panoramabahn.
- 2012 Construction of Café 3.440, which is located in the top station of the Wildspitzbahn.
- 2015 With a photovoltaic power plant at 2,900 m above sea level, the Pitztaler Gletscherbahn is once again treading innovative and at the same time environmentally friendly paths
- 2016 Four electric charging stations at the valley station of the Gletscherexpress. Acquisition of electric + skidoo
- 1970 Construction of the 1er chairlift from Mandarfen to Rifflsee
- 1971 Construction of the Hüttenschlepplift
- 1980 Construction of the trough drag lift
- 1994 Takeover of the Rifflsee lift by the Pitztaler Gletscherbahn and simultaneous modernisation of the valley station
- 1996 Construction of the Grubenkopfbahn at Rifflsee
- 2004 Construction of the Muttenkopf lift
- 2007 Construction of the Sunna Alm mountain restaurant in passive house design (first restaurant in passive house design in the Alpine region)
- 2009 Construction of the 6-seater chairlift Sunna Alm Bahn, which increases comfort and safety when transporting children and families.
- 2017 Europe’s highest raft at 2,232 metres
- 2018 Extension of the Sunna Alm mountain restaurant sun terrace